Monday, May 12, 2014

Breakfast is Always a Good Idea

When you have kids, skipping breakfast is no longer an option. The kid has to eat, so you may as well too.  

I love oatmeal.  But I hate cooking it on the stove because it turns breakfast into an event (yes, I am THAT lazy.)

I used to get the oatmeal packets in the box thinking I was being healthy, but knowing otherwise.  They have way too much sugar!  And I'm really weird about how much sugar my kids get.

I decided to start making my own oatmeal packets.  

You need-
Snack size ziplock bags
1/2 cup of 1 minute quick oats
1 T of Brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips...the possibilities for this last one are endless (I usually add brown sugar and 1 T is a bit much, so I do half.)

To cook-
Empty into a bowl
Add 3/4 cup of liquid (I use 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup of milk)
Stir around a bit.  Microwave for 2 minutes.
always add frozen blueberries to mine.  My daughter and I eat this almost every morning.

After eating this for several days in a row, I stopped making the "packets" and just measured it out daily-it seemed like a waste of baggies.  So now whenever I get a new oatmeal container, I write the recipe on top. 

An extra bonus-it's a lot cheaper than buying the boxed packets!

What's your go-to breakfast? I always love new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment